Caroline Nieto, Gary Rosas, Shantae Shaw, Tiffany Jorge, Elizabeth Parsons:
We are focusing on how Latinas are represented and shown in Hollywood and how their aesthetic is perceived by the everyday viewer. We will be examining different Latina’s from different parts of the industry and how they are portrayed and presented via their everyday personal style, their hair and makeup and when they are in character and how these characteristics overlap. We will also focus on the ideology of their looks and why they are presented the way they are. Are they who they are because of our society and sterotypes or are they who they are because this is who they want to be? Our goal is to investigate this issue and try to answer these questions.
- Bernstein, Ellen. “The Selena Look.” Caller2.com. N.p., 20 Nov. 1997. Web. 17 Oct. 2012. <http://www.caller2.com/selena/sel100.htm>.
- Ferla, Ruth La. “FRONT ROW; Adding ‘Classic’ to Latina Style.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 05 July 2012. Web. 17 Oct. 2012. <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/fashion/carmen-ordonez-of-viva-fashion-front-row.html?_r=0>.
- “Latinas Add Spice to Fashion World’s Melting Pot.” Latinas Add Spice to Fashion World’s Melting Pot. Jon Garrido News Network, 20 July 2007. Web. 17 Oct. 2012. <http://www.latina.ms/latinas_add_spice_to_fashion_world’s_melting_pot.htm>.
- Orozco, Cynthia E. “QUINTANILLA PEREZ, SELENA [SELENA].” Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). Texas State Historical Association, n.d. Web. 17 Oct. 2012. <http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fquxg>.
- Square, Jonathan M. “Refinery29.” Refinery29. Refinery29, 8 Oct. 2012. Web. 17 Oct. 2012. <http://www.refinery29.com/frida-kahlo-exhibit>.
- Verdecia, Carlos. “Latina Power.” Hispanic 2003: 6-. Latin American Newsstand. Web. 18 Oct. 2012 .
- Lopez, Steven. “Spicing Up Fashion.” Hispanic 1999: 100-. Latin American Newsstand. Web. 18 Oct. 2012.